Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 1997 13:55:24 -0600 (CST)
From:      Gary Clark II <gclarkii@main.gbdata.com>
To:        narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee (Narvi)
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD K5 Pentium Equivalents

Narvi wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, Gary Clark II wrote:
>
> > You can run only Intel chips in FreeBSD SMP due to the fact that the others
> > (Cyrix and AMD) use a different standard for PIC usage.
> > (Please correct if I'm wrong on this)
>
> This is a bit late reply, but still:
>
> Could FreeBSD be made to run AMD chips in SMP mode? That is - are the SMP
> motherboards capable of running the AMD (and Cyrix chips) in SMP, and the
> only thing on the way is the software? Or are different SMP motherboards
> required?
You would have to change both motherboard AND FreeBSD to run these chips.
Does anyone know of any motherboards with the new PIC standard running
on it?

> 	Sander

Gary

--
Gary Clark II   (N5VMF) |    I speak only for myself and "maybe" my company
gclarkii@GBData.COM     |          Member of the FreeBSD Doc Team