Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 2010 10:20:25 -0700
From:      Steve Franks <bahamasfranks@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   thoughts on sorting files into sub-folders by access date?

Hi y'all,

My high-end point&shoot camera likes to glob all my photos in a single
folder, and it's glutting up my drive, and makes finding a specific
trip unpleasant, with no good place for metadata.  My SLR sorts them
into folders by date, which I love.

I can't find anything close googling, so I d/l a bunch of perl
examples.  Before I figure this out in python (I'm a hardware
developer by trade, so that seems most sensible [libc doesn't seem to
have any os-agnostic way of playing with file times, no?])...

I thought I'd check if there's some trivially simple way of doing this
with bash & find first.

And, no, I'm kind of a keyboard jockey, so I'm not even considering
importing all my photos into some app for handing my metadata.  Text
files do that just fine if I can sort them into folders.

Best,
Steve