Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 2004 15:04:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      mk@capri.pl
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3 on ultra2: scsi disk not detected

> I boot FreeBSD off of da0 and NetBSD off of da1.  Both can see all three
> devices.  So it's not a problem that is related to the number of disks.
> My guess here, since I'm not a Solaris expert and don't know how to
> extract the information out of it that would be helpful, is that either
> your misbehaving disk is 'special' and solaris knows to do special
> things with it, or it's stuck in narrow mode or has a faulty pin and
> solaris is smart enough to deal with that.  Neither FreeBSD nor Linux
> know how to do domain validation, so a faulty pin on the upper half of
> the bus would show up as a mystery parity error.  A faulty pin on the
> lower half of the bus could interfer with selections on the other
> low-numbered devices, though I have no idea how solaris could compensate
> for this.

I tried to attach this disk in narrow mode, using SCA80->68pin converter,
then using 68pin->50pin converter, then attaching it in place of CDROM.
This trick works with Sun IPX and SparcStation5, but Ultra2 just can't see the
disk connected this way. Although I'm industrial microcontroller hardware
designer, so I'm really fluent with hardware peculiarities, I just don't
knwow SCSI protocol details so I can't diagnose this from software point
of view. I'll learn, but this requires some time.
For now it looks to me that Ultra2 is unable to talk with this disk in
narrow mode - but maybe I'm wrong, just like I said - I don't know SCSI
enough.

> I can hack the driver to allow you to force everything into async-narrow
> mode.  That might help identify the problem, but it won't help much if
> it's a case of the drive needing special instructions that we don't
> understand.  A SCSI bus capture would be ideal.

Give me a hint how to get SCSI bus capture and I'll do that - for now I
can attach multi-input logic state analyzer physically to the bus, but
maybe there's some more obvious software solution ...

Just FYI here's the list of Sun supported disks in Ultra2:

IBM DFHS-32160-S2S (2.1GB)
IBM DCAS-32160     (2.1GB)
IBM DDRS-34560     (4.2GB)
IBM DDRS-39130     (9.1GB)