Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 1995 04:03:11 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        adam@veda.is
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   nntp dependency

In news/nntp/Makefile there are lines like this:

=====
.if !exists(${PREFIX}/include/dbz.h) || !exists(${PREFIX}/lib/libcnews.a)
DEPENDS+=       ${PORTSDIR}/news/cnews
.endif
=====

First, this doesn't do the intended things, as ${PREFIX} is not
defined at this point so the test always fails.  I'm sorry if I'm the
person who suggested this.  (You can use ${PREFIX} to define other
variables, as these are evaluated lazily, but not in conditionals.)

Second, if cnews is required for building only, maybe you can use
BUILD_DEPENDS.  Something like

BUILD_DEPENDS=  ${PREFIX}/libexec/news/ctime:${PORTSDIR}/news/cnews

should do (yes, you can give an absolute pathname to BUILD_DEPENDS --
it will just give it to "which", which will DTRT).  That way we can
avoid pulling in the dependency into the package.

I've just tested it, it seems to work.  It's in thud's
/e/work/asami/ports/news/nntp if you want to take a look.

Satoshi