Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 14:09:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>
To:        John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
Cc:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can I do this with a midi program?

On 17-Feb-2002 John Utz wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Conrad Sabatier wrote:
>
>> Rather than do a quote-and-followup, I just wanted to say that I, for
>> one, would most definitely be interested in anything that would allow
>> me to use my MIDI keyboard under FreeBSD!  No more booting into
>> Windows just to run Cakewalk!  That would be just *so* excellent!  :-)
>
> i know! and it actually *worked* at one point. tho mike durian was
> *always* pushing the envelope, so it was hard to say if it was going to
> work from one release to the next.

Yes, I remember the days of the old Voxware drivers.  :-)  I truly mourned
their passing.

> so, with diffculty, i found an old dist of tclmidi. he stopped writing
> drivers after version 3.1, but his driver code was really good.
>
> however, his freebsd code was written against freebsd 2.0.5.
>
> things have changed a bit.

That's, uh, a bit of an understatement.  :-)

> so, here's something people could help me with: what replaced files.i386
> and i386/conf.c as the mechanism for listing what the possible devices
> are?
>
> if i new that, i could try and hack this into a kernel and run with it,
> because i saw it work that way once :-)

I'll see what I can find out.

> but i really should bite the bullet and try to do this as an lkm..ack!
> kld, i am really showing my age here.

Heh.  :-)

> i'll have to look at one of the more non-trivial .ko's and see what it
> looks like. this shouldnt be too hard...durian did all the hard stuff....

I'll certainly wish you the best of luck! <crossing fingers>

>> And Sue, you've piqued my interest again in exploring the tools that are
>> available for Unix.  I see there are still a few I have yet to explore.
>> Now the only problem is finding the *time*.  :-)
>
> midimountain looks awfully interesting, but rosegarden still stands in my
> mind as the most visually beautiful app ever written in pure X widgets.
>
> it just suffered from the limitations of the underlying architecture.

It *looked* nice, yes, and was quite an achievement in that respect, but it
really was not very comofortable to actually use.

> sadly the next version of rosegarden is a qt app.

This could be a good thing.  We'll reserve judgement.  I didn't even think
it was still under development, to be honest.

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>

"Every man has his price.  Mine is $3.95."