Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2000 14:23:16 -0700
From:      DAve <dave@pixelhammer.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   adding another drive, bios questions

I am at my wits end here trying to add a second drive to my file
server.

I have a gateway file server, P90 with  32mb ram. FreeBSD is
installed and running just fine. The mother board has two IDE
interfaces, one labled 'pri IDE' the other labled 'PCI IDE'.=20

Currently I have the sys drive as master and the CD as slave on the
interface labled 'pri IDE'. I want to put two new drives on the box.
Attempting to use the interface labled 'PCI IDE' gets me nowhere.

I've tried;

1) LBA on/off
2) AUTO CONFIG on/off (manually set cyl, sec, etc)
3) new drives set as slave on cable first pos, master on cable end
position, and both as slave. (leaving system disk only set as master
on 'pri IDE' interface)

I have one other box which the bios never sees the drive yet FBSD
finds it and boots just fine. However FBSD never finds a drive on
this box.=20

I have made no changes to the kernel other than to
add these lines as per LINT.

controller  wdc1  at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15
disk   wd2    at wdc1 drive 0

Recompiled and installed, reboot, I get this message from dmesg=20
"wdc1 not found at 0x170"

My bios has no place to tell me what IRQ or mem address the IDE
interfaces reside at, or where I can change/add this info.

How can I tell FBSD where the drives are?

Any thoughts?

DAve

 --=20
"My center is giving way,=20
my right is pushed back;=20
situation excellent,=20
I am attacking." =0D=20
Ferdinand Foch at the Second Battle of the Marne (1918)