Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2012 03:18:43 +0300
From:      Gleb Kurtsou <gleb.kurtsou@gmail.com>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <pfg@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Efstratios Karatzas <gpf.kira@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: NTFS GSoC Project Idea

On (28/03/2012 18:43), Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Hello Efstratios ;
>
> In general, I agree with Gleb that you should start from
> the Apple Darwin port instead of spending time on the
> current FreeBSD driver.

I'd suggest submitting two proposals -- too much depends on a mentor
availability for a particular project.

> Please note that last year someone attempted to bring
> in smbfs from Darwin with your same strategy and
> failed:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/soc-status/2011-June/000340.html
>
> Making it MPsafe may look relatively easy but it will
> take valuable time. In the case of ext2fs, for example,
> I am convinced it was only done in time  because the
> ext2fs code is based on UFS1.
>
> Also the lack of write support has made the current
> NTFS driver undesirable and for a while, even before
> the MP-unsafe axing was defined, the driver was
> being considered for deprecation.
>
> Quite honestly I think we want the Darwin driver. If it
> serves as further encouragement, when I asked Yar
> about his HFS port he said everything he took from
> Darwin "basically" compiled.

My experience with Darwin NTFS was similar. I had most of it compiling
in several evenings. At least extended attributes and utf-8 routines
had to be disabled. Sorry, I can't recall the details, had no time to
get back to it afterwards.

Thanks,
Gleb.