Date:      Sun, 17 Apr 2016 21:42:52 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Jouni Laakso <jounijl@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org" <freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Huawei E3372 ( sonera.fi )

I'm happy someone answered and I'm not talking to myself. I finally had a question.

1) How to get two ways communication to succeed with this or these devices? Overall, how any IoT usb modem is connected with static IP-address?

I have tried  ipfw forward and tcpdump to snoop the traffic from ue0. I have put ipfw to forward all incoming packets to httpd-server. Both http and https. I can not see any traffic coming in from the modem 192.168.1.1. The forward rule is:

${fwcmd} add 100 fwd ${wwwip},80 tcp from any to 192.168.1.1 80 recv ${outif}
${fwcmd} add 100 fwd ${wwwip},443 tcp from any to 192.168.1.1 443 recv ${outif}

This works with the proxy.
This is not excactly NAT but no packets are found with ' tcpdump -n -i ue0 ' either. The modem has a www -admin page at http://192.168.1.1. I could not reach it's address from the Internet but sending to the public NAT address, finally the admin -page loaded to the web browser. Trying with google translate did not give results. Trying with another IP-connection did not reach the IP at all.

1.1) Should I enable PPP -link over the connection somehow? PPP was the connection method with the previous usb-modems and the IP at tun0 interface was given from the service provider.

2) Does anyone know how to switch the E3372 modem to a state giving a device to use the AT-commands? With these commands, listing the available modes is possible and solving the possibilities to use the modem revealed.

Devices now are:
crw-------   1 root  operator  0xd1 Apr 17 21:26 pass3
crw-r-----   1 root  operator  0xd2 Apr 17 21:26 da0
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel        9 Apr 17 21:26 ugen4.2 -> usb/4.2.0
crw-rw-rw-   1 root  wheel     0xc6 Apr 17 22:46 dsp0.0
crw-------   1 root  wheel      0x4 Apr 18 00:07 console
crw-rw-rw-   1 root  wheel      0xd Apr 18 00:33 null

3) What is a correct IoT modem type? Is PPP ok with static IP-addresses or does it have to have NAT capabilities? Which ones have this?

Answear to the question: Sorry my inaccuracy. It just seems to me that the latency is higher from just using the web browser. I have so many tests going on that I just haven't tested more accurately. Today I have been using the link first time with an antenna. The results would have been inaccurate.  Personnally I think it can be either block sizes or differences in locking the cdce versus the u3g cuaU. Really I do not know. Maby these are the usual? Is it better to leave the modem to an external device or use it with the web browsers and applications? By the way, I'm using only 2 cores. This one uses less power. Maby it can affect the results?Maby it's just the antenna. E3372 has two antenna links. A polarized antenna or two antennas far apart could give better results.

This is the configuration:

192.168.1.100  <ue0> <--- cdce/usb ---> <modem interface> 192.168.1.1   <------ ISP 4G ------> <public IP>

It is not possible to add a NAT address to the Huawei modem because it does not have this kind of capability? At least not from the Admin-page. Or does it just send the packets destined to 192.168.1.1 to network 192.168.1.0 ? Tcpdump showed that nothing came back using the SSL-ports. With HTTP the public IP appeared many times until it was switched (maby with http redirect or similar?) back to the Admin page 192.168.1.1. The URL was first http://192.168.1.1/html/index.html?url=<the public IP> .

Do I have to buy a new modem and what kind of a modem it should be?

br,   Jouni