Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 18:59:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI: regarding our rfork(2)

Julian Elischer said:
> John S. Dyson wrote:
> >
> > I am going to be changing our rfork implementation in the following ways:
> >
> >         Rename RFMEM to RFSHMEM, implying that we are fully sharing memory.
> >         Also implying that we don't support RFMEM in the same way as other
> >         OSes might.  Add an additional argument to rfork(2) to support
> >         specifying a new stack address in the child.  This argument is
> >         meaningful only if RFSHMEM is specified.  This mod will eliminate
> >         some potential timing windows when the child is running with the
> >         parents stack.  It will also eliminate the need for certain
> >         "gymnastics" in code that uses rfork with RFSHMEM.
> >
> >         I'll be committing the changes tonight, so let me know if anyone
> >         has problems with the concept.
>
> well, it makes it incompatible with the rfork in plan 9

It is incompatible anyway, that is the reason that I am changing RFMEM
to RFSHMEM.  If we create a compatible RFMEM, then we can be compatible.

> What does  Linux's clone() call have as arguments..?

I don't think that it makes any difference.  I am trying to solve a specific
problem with RF(SH)MEM that can be fixed a simple way (my proposal), or a
significantly more complex way, messing with signal masks, etc.

John
dyson@freebsd.org
jdyson@nc.com