Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 09:53:18 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Morgan Werner" <morganw@jps.net>
Subject:   Re: Ruinning FreeBSD on Parallel port driver

--_=_=_=IMA.BOUNDARY.HTML_4862544=_=_=_

--Original Message Text---
From: Morgan Werner
Date: 15 Oct 98 18:39:44 Pacific Standard Time

I need some information about running freeBSD on a syquest parallel
port drive.
Please give me the instructions for this.

You can't!

You should buy an IDE or SCSI drive.  I hope you asked before you
bought.

BTW, I used SyQuest SparQs for testing a product being ported from
Clarion for DOS to Clarion for Windows, and I found that the SparQ EIDE
drive was incompatible with some motherboards/BIOSes.  Even after
finding a motherboard/BIOS that would detect the SparQ natively
(without SyQuest utility), I couldn't install OS/2 to it, and Windows
NT didn't like that little setup either.  They distinguish between
non-removable DASD and removable DASD. DASD is IBMspeak for secondary
storage, as in disk drive...

MS-DOS, PC-DOS, didn't care, they just worked.  Various versions of
Winblows gave me fits if the drive went to "sleep".  I suspect FreeBSD
won't care, but I'm not promising, YMMV.

The reason you can't use the parellel port model is that it doesn't get
detected by the BIOS as an available "boot" drive.
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.

--_=_=_=IMA.BOUNDARY.HTML_4862544=_=_=_

<HTML>

<FONT FACE="MS Sans Serif" DEFAULT="FACE"><FONT SIZE="1" POINTSIZE="8" DEFAULT="SIZE">--Original Message Text---<BR>
<B>From:</B> Morgan Werner<BR>
<B>Date:</B> 15 Oct 98 18:39:44 Pacific Standard Time<BR>
<BR>
<FONT COLOR=000000 DEFAULT="COLOR"><FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE="2" POINTSIZE="10">I need some information about running freeBSD on a syquest parallel port drive. <BR>
Please give me the instructions for this. <BR>
<BR>
<FONT COLOR=000000 DEFAULT="COLOR"><FONT FACE="MS Sans Serif" DEFAULT="FACE"><FONT SIZE="1" POINTSIZE="8" DEFAULT="SIZE">You can't!<BR>
<BR>
You should buy an IDE or SCSI drive.  I hope you asked before you bought.<BR>
<BR>
BTW, I used SyQuest SparQs for testing a product being ported from Clarion for DOS to Clarion for Windows, and I found that the SparQ EIDE drive was incompatible with some motherboards/BIOSes.  Even after finding a motherboard/BIOS that would detect the SparQ natively (without SyQuest utility), I couldn't install OS/2 to it, and Windows NT didn't like that little setup either.  They distinguish between non-removable DASD and removable DASD. DASD is IBMspeak for secondary storage, as in disk drive...<BR>
<BR>
MS-DOS, PC-DOS, didn't care, they just worked.  Various versions of Winblows gave me fits if the drive went to "sleep".  I suspect FreeBSD won't care, but I'm not promising, YMMV.<BR>
<BR>
The reason you can't use the parellel port model is that it doesn't get detected by the BIOS as an available "boot" drive.<BR>

</HTML>

<HTML>
<LEFT>
<FONT FACE="MS Sans Serif" COLOR="#000001" SIZE="1" POINTSIZE="8" DEFAULT="ALL">
Unix&nbsp;systems&nbsp;measure&nbsp;"uptime"&nbsp;in&nbsp;years,&nbsp;Winblows&nbsp;measures&nbsp;it&nbsp;in&nbsp;minutes.</HTML>

--_=_=_=IMA.BOUNDARY.HTML_4862544=_=_=_--