Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2012 13:31:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   INDEX files on servers outdated

The INDEX files on the FreeBSD servers are outdated.

   (on 9-stable, amd64)

   # svn up /usr/ports
   # cd /usr/ports
   # make fetchindex
   # grep ^firefox-1 INDEX-9
   firefox-16.0.2,1|/usr/ports/www/firefox|/usr/local|Web browser based
   firefox-10.0.10,1|/usr/ports/www/firefox-esr|/usr/local|Web browser

firefox was updated to 17.0 on November 20, almost a week ago.

The old INDEX file can cause portupgrade and portmaster to not show
available updates.

Portmaster:

   # svn up /usr/ports
   # portmaster -L --index-only | egrep '(ew|ort) version|total install'
   ===>>> 791 total installed ports
 	===>>> There are no new versions available

Portmaster does detect changes if --index-only is left out, but it takes
much longer and so is not used by some users.

Portupgrade:

   # portsdb -Fu && portversion -vl'<'
   #

There is no indication to the user that the index file is outdated and
should be rebuilt locally.  (I think but have not verified that the
index file retrieved by portsnap is correct.)

I started to enter a PR for this, but realized it may be a known
problem.  If so, can we just delete the index files so fetchindex errors
out instead of delivering an outdated file?