Date:      Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:28:46 +0000
From:      Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: socket / bind - specific address

On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 06:07:22PM +1100, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> The situation is as follows:
>
> We have a couple of FreeBSD routers, with RFC1918 addresses on the
> ethernets and a public address on the loopback. This works fine for
> connecting to the routers, but is problematic for locally originated
> outgoing traffic (think NTP, think syslog): it takes the IP address
> of the outgoing interface, which is the RFC1918 address.
>
> Is there a way (sysctl, kernel option) to define which IP address
> is used for locally originated outgoing traffic?

One way is to run your daemon (ntpd, syslogd etc) within a jail, and give
the jail your public loopback as its IP address.

Another is just to configure each daemon to bind to the appropriate port, if
it supports that option. syslogd has a '-b' flag; I don't know if ntpd can
be configured thusly.

Regards,

Brian.