Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 22:01:15 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Back to school

"Jason C. Wells" wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Mark Ovens wrote:
>
> >OK, such research could be done on the Internet, but telephone charges
> >could make this prohibitive, especially for schools. I rather hope
> >that with the increased acceptance of Linux in the mainstream we may
> >see Linux versions of such software available in the not too distant
> >future. Then I can get rid of 95.
>
> I think that free software can make this happen. Of course, it would be
> really nice if the folks at Apple who like our code so much would build a
> BSD version of Quicktime.

That would certainly help, maybe we should ask them?

> Most of these programs are just collections of standard format clips,
> pics, and some formatting. All most all of them are built with multimedia
> toolkits like QuickTime or Director.

We've got IBM World Book and whilst what you say about using std format
clips etc is true unfortunately they are all packed in proprietry format
archives (wb.dat - 250MB) and they don't even put OS/2 binaries on the
CD - it's Windows only.

> Tools for unix to display the data formats exists. If there were a
> quicktime or director clone, then the data on the CD could be read and
> displayed as it would be on a PC.

Unless they will divulge these proprietry formats then there's not much
hope of this happening :-(

--
  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.