Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 17:11:17 +0000
From:      Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dialing in works sometimes

I have a newish generic PC running FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE.  Two serial
ports, sio0 and sio1.  Two identical generic external modems, one on
each port.  /etc/ttys says this:

ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" dialup  on
ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" dialup  on

Dialing in to one works fine.  Dialing in to the other just gives me
garbage after the CONNECT line.  Real garbage, as if I've got the line
speed or the parity wrong.  Output of stty -a and comcontrol is the
same for both devices.

I've seen this before, and it's always gone away after sufficient
dinking about with stty, /etc/ttys, comcontrol, etc, but never
consistently enough that I can say for sure how I fixed it.

It's driving me nuts.  Help!  Is there at least some sort of tool that
would help me to diagnose this?

Nick Barnes
nb@ravenbrook.com