Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 2020 13:39:06 -0500
From:      John Johnstone <jjohnstone-freebsdquestions@tridentusa.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS resolution

On 2/28/20 1:45 AM, Doug Hardie wrote:

> I can't see what DNS servers the modem is using, but I suspect they are the "official" ones per the ISP.  When I use those directly, there is no rotating.  When I go to the modem with either windows or FreeBSD then I get rotation.  I don't see where else the rotation could be occurring.
>
> -- Doug

I'm not sure I correctly understand your problem but it sounds like you
are expecting deterministic behavior that you will not be able to get
due to the nature of how DNS works.  There are a lot of factors that
come into play.

If you do a web search on DNS with multiple A records there is a lot of
discussion about it.

Although this article is about round robin it also discusses the
different issues with having multiple A records.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round-robin_DNS

-
John J.