Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 1995 18:49:24 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: userconfig doesn't work on tvi925

>  I have a headless PC with a tvi925 clone as its console.  The new
>userconfig assumes a vt100, so it is completely useless in this situation.
>Is there any chance of adding a "dumb terminal" mode and defaulting to it
>if you are on a serial console?  (With, of course, a command in "dumb"
>mode that can switch you to full screen mode?)

   Well, I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with Jordan convincing him that
we should bring back the CLI mode. The compromise is to provide both the CLI
and the "visual" interface. Kernel bloat, yes, but someday this whole thing
will hopefully be moved into a "/boot" and won't be part of the kernel.

-DG