Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2001 18:54:08 +0000
From:      David Bauer <bauer@genprofile.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Toshiba Satellite 1710 sound and build-in modem

Hi,

I'm trying to get FreeBSD4.2 running on a Satellite 1710.
From the initial WinME installation I know that the sound claims to be:
"Crystal Sound Fusion CS4281 WDM", and thers is a build-in modem called
"LT Win Modem". (From my former bad experiences with pcmcia winmodems I
have a bad feeling when reading WinModem).

I tried to put snd, pcm, csa, pca in the kernel configuration, in
different combinations but I don't even see any boot message. All what I
see is a message about an unknown pci device with IRQ5. I guess this
could be my sound ?
So is anything known about the CS4281? (I couldn't find an answer in the
maillist archives).

The second question is about the modem. Just for my understanding, these
kind of build-in modems, do they sit on sio0 (COM1) or are they
connected to the pcmcia bus ?
Do I have to fiddle with the sio0 and its flags in the kernel
configuration or is the place to start experimenting the pccard deamon?

And a final question: This funny notebook has no more serial port. But I
need one to connect to a LCD projector which has no PS2 but only RS232
connection (and VGA of course :-). Should I get a pcmcia card with a
serial port or are there converters from PS/2 and/or USB to RS232 which
could be used under FreeBSD ?

Thanks so lot for any hints,

David.