Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 23:51:27 +0100 (BST)
From:      Daniel Fairs <danfairs@bits.bris.ac.uk>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Heiner_G=F6tte?= <Heiner.Goette@web.de>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP Deskjet 720C

> On Sun, May 21, 2000 at 11:50:56AM +0200, Heiner Gvtte wrote:
> > Hello,
> > is it possible to use the HP Deskjet 720C with freebsd?
>
> No, it's one of those dreaded WinPrinters :(
>
> >From http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpd06898.html
>
>      NOTE: Host-based printers such as the HP DeskJet 710, 720C, 820C
>      and 1000C series will not function in the Linux environment
>      because they depend on the Microsoft Windows operating system.

Hmm, I seem to have an HP DeskJet 820C running quite happily off my Linux
box ;) In mono, at least. The version of apsfilter that comes with SuSE
6.2 is quite happy with it - so I daresay the same will be true under
FreeBSD (haven't had time to try it yet). Essentially, the printer
understands the PPA format natively, which ghostscript can speak. If you
want more details, I can send you my /etc/printcap and the relevant
filters. You might have to play with them a bit to get the 720 working...
alternatively grab the latest version of apsfilter.

Best regards,
Dan

Daniel Fairs
danfairs@bits.bris.ac.uk, danfairs@hotmail.com
http://www.darkalley.co.uk, http://listen.to/agentorange

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.