Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 10:13:06 -0700
From:      Bob Kot <bobkot@gci-net.com>
To:        "herk" <herk@cwnet.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PCI modems

>Could anyone tell me if FreeBSD 4.2--my CD release--supports PCI
>modems, and, if they are supported, recommend one know to be working?

I have the ActionTec...on an Abit KT7-Raid mother board

from dmesg...
sio0: <ActionTec 56k FAX PCI Modem> port 0xd400-0xd407,0xd000-0xd0ff,0xcc00-0xcc
ff mem 0xda000000-0xda0000ff irq 5 at device 13.0 on pci0

I've had very poor results and consider this modem unusable on FreeBSD.
I've tried it on 4.1-RELEASE 4.2-RELEASE 4.3-RELEASE and a couple of
versions of -current and similar bad results in all cases.
ppp logs HDLC errors. The connection stays up but packet loss gets
so excessive and re-transmission gets so bad that thru-put grinds
to an unusable level.

The attempts with 4.x were sequential as I upgraded to each successive
release. I have 3 bootable OS'es on this particular machine.
FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE, FreeBSD 5.0-current and Linux Debian 2.2.
I'll alo mention that under FreeBSD this modem will cause the machine
to completely freeze up very infrequently. (reboot fsck). I consider
that a very bad situation but have not raised the issue on the lists.
This machine is rock solid (no freeze ups) on Fbsd4.3R as long as I
don't use that pci modem.

Under Linux this modem works slightly better then under FreeBSD but is
still not what I would call robust. I have not played with pppd under
Linux enough to log things to see if the HDLC errors are apparent
here also. Symptoms are very frequent dropped connections and frequent
episodes of no apparent data flow. No machine lockups here though.

I've polled this list for anyone who has used this modem successfully
under FBSD but got no replies. If my experience with this particular
modem is typical I would stay away from ActionTec.

-bob-