Date:      Sat, 28 Jan 2012 10:35:51 -0600
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        Tilman =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Keskin=F6z?= <arved@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, Mmacfarlyn <mmacfarlyn@gmail.com>, Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and jackd

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 10:46:08 +0100
Tilman Keskin=F6z <arved@freebsd.org> wrote:

> * Volodymyr Kostyrko [Fri, 27 Jan 2012 10:53:07 +0200]:
> > Mmacfarlyn wrote:
> >> has anyone yet to run into this issue?
> >>
> >> :555:->uname -a
> >> FreeBSD disgrace 8.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE #0: Sun Aug 21
> >> 14:19:30 EDT 201
> >> 1     root@disgrace:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/disgrace  i386
> >> :556:->jackd -d alsa
> >> jackd 0.121.3
> >> Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben
> >> Hohn and oth
> >> ers.
> >> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> >> This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> >> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
> >>
> >> could not open driver .so '/usr/local/lib/jack/jack_alsa_midi.so':
> >> /usr/local/li
> >> b/jack/jack_alsa_midi.so: Undefined symbol "clock_nanosleep"
>=20
> IIRC FreeBSD does not have clock_nanosleep.
>=20
> This looks like a bug in the port.
>=20
> >=20
> > So you have correct library but with different symbols. Go install
> > sysutils/bsdadminscripts and ask pkg_libchk what ports you should
> > rebuild.
> >=20
> >>
> >> could not open driver .so '/usr/local/lib/jack/jack_alsa.so':
> >> /usr/local/lib/jac
> >> k/jack_alsa.so: Undefined symbol "clock_nanosleep"
> >>
> >> jackd: unknown driver 'alsa'
> >>
> >> Does FreeBSD not support ALSA?
> >=20
> > Or should it? FreeBSD has it's own sound stack.
> > http://wiki.freebsd.org/Sound is a nice page about that. FreeBSD
> > supports ALSA through audio/alsa-lib port.
>=20
> Did you build the port with the ALSA option on or off?
>=20
> Did you try the portaudio or oss drivers?

Jackd *will* start if you use the OSS backend ("jackd [other options]
-d oss").  Just ignore any warnings about ALSA; they're irrelevant if
you're using OSS.

For some reason, though, lately, I can't get Rosegarden to start
anymore, even though jackd is starting up and opening the listening
socket just as it should.  I've trussed Rosegarden, and it seems to be
exiting after failing to connect to lircd, which never used to be a
requirement.  After failing the connect, it segfaults and that's all
she wrote!

Anyone know what's up with *that*?

--=20
Conrad J. Sabatier