Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 00:52:53 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        papowell@astart.com, Doug@gorean.org, nik@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?

Warner Losh wrote:

> Looking at the rest of this thread, I thought I'd run through the
> license to see if there were any gotchas.  So far all the FUD I've
> seen on the list seems to be false.
>
> : 4. You may distribute the programs of this Package in object code
> : or executable form, provided that you do at least ONE of the
> : following:
> :
> :       a) distribute a Standard Version of the executables and
> :       library files, together with instructions (in the manual
> :       page or equivalent) on where to get the Standard Version.
> :
> :       b) accompany the distribution with the machine-readable
> :       source of the Package with your modifications.
>
> OK.

If you're Joe's Print Server Corp you're not gonna be quite so willing to
say "OK" to this.  Do you really want your customers trying to upgrade
your installation of LPRng on the ROMs in your Print Server ][ plus?

> :       c) accompany any non-standard executables with their
> :       corresponding Standard Version executables, giving the
> :       non-standard executables non-standard names, and clearly
> :       documenting the differences in manual pages (or equivalent),
> :       together with instructions on where to get the Standard
> :       Version.
> :
> :       d) make other distribution arrangements with the Copyright
> :       Holder.

I want to provide print services in my box" hat on and see if you still
feel this is acceptable.

Granted, this is not the only customer base FreeBSD has, but it's a
good, strong one and one that has contributed a lot.  Let's try not to
blow it for them.