Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 07:03:39 -0400
From:      brianch@us.ibm.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   file system error

I am a FreeBSD newbie and I have been using FreeBSD on my home computer since
December 1998.  So far, I have only been using FreeBSD to do email with
netscape.  Recently I have been getting error messages stating that I could not
write to a file because it was full.  This message only occurs when I try to
move an email to a different folder or a similar mail function.  Today I could
not even start x-windows with the startx command because of the file system full
error.  The exact error message is :  "myname /kernel: pid 225 (m4), uid 0 on /:
file system full"  Can you help me to get this problem resolved?

When I do a df command, what is the significance of each of the entries listed
in the output?  The first one in the list on my computer is at 104% capacity!!

Thanks,

Brian

Brian Jay Christie
characterization/test engineer