Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 1996 00:38:28 -0800
From:      Zeki@Dilbert.Oasysinc.com (Zeki Basbuyuk)
To:        "'Stable'" <stable@Freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: SCSI Performance under -stable/-current

----------
From: 	Tom Samplonius[SMTP:tom@uniserve.com]
Sent: 	Saturday, March 30, 1996 8:27 AM
To: 	Marc G. Fournier
Cc: 	stable@freebsd.org
Subject: 	Re: SCSI Performance under -stable/-current
The ncr results should be higher, unless your drives are slow.  On a=20
-stable system with a 2940 and a Quantum Fireball, I see over 6MB/sec on =

file I/O.
How do you get this speed? I thought there is a physical limitation on =
how much speed you can get for a hard drive. The calculation is as =
follows. 120 rps (revs per sec assuming 7200 rpm drive) X 40 sectors per =
track (average or above average) X 512 bps (bytes per sector) =3D 2.4 MB =
/sec. To get 6 MB either spt needs to increase to 100 or so or rotation =
needs to be increased.
Tom