Date:      Mon, 06 Mar 1995 19:59:24 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
Cc:        smace@metal-mail.neosoft.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: faking reply-to field

> Re
> use the sendmail -f parameter, it will change the "From:" line to
> whatever you want...
>
> only if you invoke it live though
> i want something that will make my daemon sendmail fake the Reply-To hostname

I'm picking up in the middle of a conversation here, so please forgive me if
I'm missing the point:

I understand that someone wants his _site_ rather than _himself_ to have
a default mail address other than the machine's name?

If that is so, then I do the same. All the machines on my network send out
mail as <user>@grondar.za, and I let /etc/aliases do the rest. It could
just as easily be an address of a convenient MX site for those who do not
have IP or who have dial-up IP.

I use sendmail (AKA bendmail), and I have a _life_saving_ book on it by
Bryan Costales with Eric Allman & Neil Rickert called simply "sendmail",
published by O'Reilly and Associates.

My solution is simple. M4. At the back of the book is a chapter on
generating sendmail.cf's with M4, and compared to writing those @#$%ing
.cf files, this is a BREEZE.

Here is mine:
#---------------------grunt.mc----------------------------
divert(-1)
include(`../m4/cf.m4')

MASQUERADE_AS(grondar.za.)
define(HIDDENDOMAIN,grondar.za.)
define(DEFAULT_HOST,grondar.za.)
OSTYPE(bsd4.4)
MAILER(local)
MAILER(smtp)
FEATURE(always_add_domain)
DEFINE(`BITNET_RELAY',`smtp:pucc.princeton.edu')
DEFINE(`UUCP_RELAY',`smtp:uunet.uu.net')

The first 2 lines are compulsory. The rest is (reasonably) obvious.
Whatever leaves my net with no domain part gets "@grondar.za" automatically.

Easy huh?

You _need_ TFM, though   :-)

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200