Date:      28 Sep 2002 09:28:49 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing ports as non-root user.

Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org> writes:

> On Fri 2002-09-27 (19:46), Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >
> > It hasn't been a design goal in the past.  It would probably be nice
> > to support it, but it's a lot of work.

Which means to me (as a begger who shouldn't be choosy), that I
shouldn't complain about ports which don't support it.

It also means that it'll be impractical to try to maintain a couple
hundred port/package installations without doing it as root.  (Doing
just the build as non-root is not worth the loss of using portupgrade.)

> > You can _build_ many ports as non-root, but installing tends to
> > hard-wire arguments to install(1) that are root-only.

If one must run the makefiles as root for any reason (eg, to install),
one loses most of the reason to avoid running it as non-root to build,
unless one could take the time to de-bad-guy the makefiles and much of
their supporting software (eg, configure.in?, makefile.am?).

> I build most ports I'm porting or upgrading and testing with
> ports/Tools/scripts/mkptools/mkpinstall as non-root.  Just copy the
> BINOWN and BINGRP stuff from there, and it should work for most ports.

Now there's an interesting clue to another undocumented feature.
It looks like I can just do:

    BINOWN=local BINGRP=local make [arg ...]

I fear that there will still be many ports which use configure/
automake-generated makefiles which do not honor BINOWN & BINGRP, but I
guess I'll try this and find out from experience.  I also need to learn
about this "mtree" thing, but the ports so far seem to only want to be
root for that, and just don't run it, with no bad concequences I'm aware
of (yet).

Thanks, guys; you've given me a better understanding of the situation.