Date:      31 Aug 2000 18:35:40 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIC cards

BWS - Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net> wrote:

> Recently the hardware guy here convinced me to use the NetGear cards for a
> new server and it worked just as well as a 3Com card, but the price was
> far less, like $20 from $70.  Apparently all NetGear cards use the Tulip
> chipset which is supported by FreeBSD with the "de" device.

As far as I know, Netgear just slap whatever chipset happens to be
convenient on their cards.  At the very least you want to provide
the exact model numbers.

> Any other hardware recommendations?

<Shrug> All kinds of people recommend all kinds of cards.  As you
increase your sample size, recommendations start to approach the
whole range of supported cards.

It would be nice, if people could back up their recommendations
with facts.  Yeah, wishful thinking.