Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 00:26:38 -0700
From:      "Michael W. Akers" <mwakers@home.com>
To:        'Donna Kean' <d-kean@adfa.edu.au>
Cc:        'FreeBSD' <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Help (Sysadmin Tools)

G'Day Donna,
--- Snip ---
>Hi my names Donna Kean and I'm a 3rd year is student at the Australian
>defense force academy.  I'm enrolled in a systems administration course
>and i have to write an assignment about FreeBSD GUI tools that help
>SysAdmins do their work such as create users, monitor the system etc. I
>was hoping that you could help me with information or web sites that
>are relevant. it would be most appreciated.
>Thanks,
Donna
--- Snip ---
As Mike Tancsa, in his reply to you, has given you most all of the Web sites
for FreeBSD, I'll concentrate on giving you a SysAdmins view of the FreeBSD
system.
There are very few Unix OS's that have GUI interfaces to their 'administration'
tools (SUN, SCO, to name a few). But as Mike mentioned, the Unix administrator
uses the power of the system shell to do his/her work. In FreeBSD there is a GUI
front-end for performing 'adduser' and 'addgroup' tasks, but to remove a user or
remove a group you have to use the command-line commands.
For basic tasks, like file system capacities, a SysAdmin will write a shell script
to perform this task and email the results to the SysAdmin if something is not
right. These tasks are written and then executed by the 'cron' system ( Cron allows
a script or program to be executed at specific times ).
Please do read through all of the sites Mike has pointed out to you, and if you have further
Questions, please email this list or email me directly.

Michael Akers
M. Akers Enterprises
Unix/NT Systems Administration and Systems Integration