Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 1997 21:21:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        max@wide.ad.jp, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the location of the Handbook and the FAQ

[moved from committers to ports]

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Satoshi Asami wrote:

> I thought I heard you say that a few months ago. :)

Hm... from the timestamps it looks like it has been collecting
dust since August 4...  :)

(Unfortunately, my time for charitable contributions to FreeBSD
that are not *direct* spinoffs of my own personal projects have
been in a steady decline since I returned to graduate school for
that elusive Phd.  For the record, the decline will probably
continue.)

> By the way, are you aware that there is a japanese/handbook port?

Yup, but see below.

> By the way, whether there exist ports for them or not doesn't change
> anything about my original proposal.  The problem is not having a
> "standard" place to check them out.

Got that and understand, but my proposal is that the handbook/faq
should be considered separate entities from FreeBSD--third party
ventures if you will.  The fact that they live in the same cvs
repository as the FreeBSD core, or a cvs repository at all, is
just coincidence and convenience.  Just like any other port, the
handbook/faq ports should fetch a tarball of the source, unpack
it in the "standard" work subdirectory and install in
${PREFIX}/share/doc.  Giving these special treatment because they
live in the FreeBSD cvs repository is more trouble than it is
worth, in my humble opinin.

The problem I ran into was dealing with versions.  I setup the
port to just grab the current version from ftp.freebsd.org and
stamp it with the date of the build.  You suggested that discrete
snapshots should be made instead (I've got the email
somewhere...).  The idea of rolling a new handbook release every
week or month and updating the port was somewhat unapealing to
me, but that was around August 4th and something else must have
demanded my attention, so there it sits.  :)

Oh, and the other problem was that the PLIST needed to be
generated at build time if the "handbook-current" was to be used.
Taking snapshots as you suggested would solve that, but there is
the hassle of rolling periodic handbook releases.  The "rolling"
is actually easy, but how would you feel about cron jobs doing
commits to update the version, PLIST and md5?

For your entertainment, my sample handbook port is below,
although I think it will break now that wcarchive doesn't to
on-the-fly gzipping.  (trivial to fix)

-john

begin 644 handbook.tar.gz
M'XL(`)\.AC0``^V8>V_:,!#`^3?^%%=*I4T;Y$$>*AU5*4EIU/)08.NF;9J`
M&,@@A)F@/5J^^^PTH="U8I4*557_)+!S]OD.G\]V&+3';B<(AF)J<X`J&9H&
M*5`D59-I";*A2:Q,D`!T5=%559=D6I<56=)3H&W0IP6S:=@F`*GO/0]W,+FW
MW[KV9\H@B7^U/<0];X0W8$.6)!K:>^,OJQJ+?]Z0-4F5-(5*\KJ:3X&T`5_^
MX87'?Q=J^"=,`A).H1N,1K@;>L$8_'@U0"\@!2%9)&@7/F`R91T(_C'S"'8+
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MW<II.%S203EOW!W-7`SOV%)AB9'SAX?HJ?-T4RSV_\FPOZD[P/^=_W3_SQN2
MINOL_#<DA9__VV`E_N5ZM6K56H]M8\WY#Z!H-_'76/SSAB[Q\W\;M`88XO,(
M3I.3]ZF=XFR-E?PWK6;9>7P;#\K_:/_/:[+!\W\;\/Q_V2SRG[WM33=S`WS`
M_4^5E.C]7Y'Y_6\KW(J_[VY@TM?N_WGC=OQUC>__6Z%J:O`J600Y.A6Y_I_7
A4(3K/S?X2<#A<#@<#H?#X7`X'`Z'\]SY"P-[&)T`*```
`
end