Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 2004 07:25:10 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Ryan Sommers" <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
To:        "spam maps" <spamrefuse@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 5.3Beta7: diskless boot, has someone succeeded?

spam maps said:
>    # rpcinfo -s 192.168.123.254
>    program version(s) netid(s)  service   owner
>     100000  2,3,4  local,udp6,tcp6,udp,tcp  rpcbind
>         superuser
>     100005  3,1    tcp6,udp6,tcp,udp        mountd
>         superuser

Are you sure you have NFS running on the NFS server? If I'm not mistaken
there should be an nfs service registered as well.

> What worries me is, when I do on the master:
>
>   # showmount -e -a
>   RPC: Port mapper failure
>   showmount: can't do mountdump rpc

This would also suggest the NFS server isn't active.

Be sure your NFS server has:

nfs_server_enable="YES"

in /etc/rc.conf and you have compiled a kernel with:

options         NFSSERVER

--
Ryan Sommers
ryans@gamersimpact.com