Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 1996 05:18:32 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Adrian Coppin <adrianc@waverider.co.uk>
Cc:        adrianc@showtimearabia.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD wont boot on my PC now **URGENT URGENT** Help Help

>My name is Adrian Coppin and I am currently setting up an Internet Email
>server sittingf on FreeBSD, after much playing about with my IDE CDROM
>drive I have eventually installed the software and added a user. I then
>typed "shutdown -r now" on the system prompt and let the system reset
>itself and it runs through the startup and gets to a point that says
>"WARNING: / was not propely dismounted" it then runs for about 30 seconds
> checking the diskd etc and defragmetting I think and then it hangs with
>a message "CLEAN FLAG NOT SET IN SUPERBLOCK" and now it just sits there
>doing naff all with no disk activity at all.

   It shouldn't be finding your filesystem unclean unless you're powering off
or resetting the machine without shutting it down completely fist, but in any
case, this isn't what's causing the hang... The hang is most likely occuring
because, after the filesystem checks, the system configures your network
devices and is likely hanging because it can't resolve any hostnames and/or
perhaps because it doesn't have the correct setting for the ethernet media
type. Do you have an ethernet card in the machine, and if so, what type is it?
Try typing one or two ctrl-C's when it has hung...this will kill off the
hanging ifconfig command.

-DG

David Greenman