Date:      Sun, 9 Nov 2003 13:28:58 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        freebsd@sentinelchicken.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.1 RELEASE - Panic

--bCsyhTFzCvuiizWE

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 03:37:29PM -0500, freebsd@sentinelchicken.net wrote:
> I am currently running 5.1 RELEASE, as system I recently 'downgraded' fro=
m CURRENT.  Since I moved back to RELEASE, the system has been giving me fi=
le=20
> system errors from time to time.  I've run fsck - though I know very litt=
le of what I'm going with this utility.  And now, I'm getting a PANIC, with=
=20
> the following error:
>=20
> mode =3D 041777, inum =3D 3, fs =3D /usr
> panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc
> Debugger("panic")
> Stoped at    Debugger+0x4d:  xchgl  %ebx,in_Debugger.0
>=20
> I ran CURRENT on this system for 6-8 months and never got a panic - the s=
ystem is not used all that often.
>=20
> Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do?

I usually get this on marginal (IBM deathstar) disks..it means you had
some kind of data corruption.

There's not much you can do about it except for trying different disk
hardware if it happens a lot.

Kris

--bCsyhTFzCvuiizWE

--bCsyhTFzCvuiizWE--