Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 2015 15:14:47 +0000
From:      Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org" <freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Old suspend/resume issue likely root cause

--YrQNB5Deg1WGKZi3

On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 11:09:03AM -0400, Eric McCorkle wrote:
> A while back (in May or June or so), I was attempting to figure out why my
> laptop screen stayed blank on suspend/resume.  I posted some dmesg outputs
> and theorized that it might be something about the devices coming back up=
 in
> the wrong order.  John Baldwin suggested I try doing
> hw.pci.do_power_suspend=3D0.
>=20
> I got tangled up with other projects and had to set it aside.  However, I
> now finally have more information:
>=20
>=20
> * hw.pci.power_suspend=3D0 does cause the screen to come back up properly.
> The network (wireless via iwm driver) needs to be re-initialized, but
> everything else seems to work properly.
>=20
> * Without hw.pci.power_suspend=3D0, the issue persists even when booting =
=66rom
> EFI, so we can rule out some kind of legacy BIOS issue.  The issue manife=
sts
> even with the experimental i915 driver, so we can rule out something with
> the efifb or VGA framebuffer drivers.
>=20
>=20
> Based on this, it looks pretty likely that the pci bus is the culprit. Any
> suggestions on where to look?

What graphics chipset do you have?  I noticed with dumbbell's i915kms
update branch [1], suspend/resume now works for me with Haswell
graphics, whereas previously I would experience the same blank screen on
resume you report.

(And I also see the iwm(4) reinitialization issue, as well.)

[1] https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-base-graphics.git branch
    drm-i915-update-38

Glen

--YrQNB5Deg1WGKZi3