Date:      Thu, 10 Mar 2016 14:33:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
To:        julian@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipwf dummynet vs. kernel NAT and firewall rules

On 10 Mar, Julian Elischer wrote:
> On 9/03/2016 9:32 AM, Don Lewis wrote:
>> I'm trying to add FQ-CoDEL AQM to my FreeBSD 10 firewall box using this
>> patch: <http://caia.swin.edu.au/freebsd/aqm/downloads.html>, but I'm
>> running into a problem that I think is caused by an interaction between
>> in-kernel NAT and dummynet.  I've set up two dummynet pipe/sched/queue
>> instances using example 3.3a from this document
>> <http://caia.swin.edu.au/freebsd/aqm/patches/README-0.1.txt>; with the
>> appropriate bandwidths, but otherwise default tunings to shape both
>> inbound and outbound traffic.  My inside network is a /24 and I have an
>> external /29 (ext/29) network that I don't want to rate limit.  My
>> outside network interface is re0.  I'm using the /etc/rc.firewall
>> "simple" firewall configuration.
>>
>> The problem that I'm having crops up when I actually try to add the
>> firewall rules to select the traffic that I want to rate limit.  The
>> first rule in the list is:
>> 	100 allow ip from any to any via lo0
>> The second rule is numbered 200 and is first anti-spoofing rule.  If
>> I add *either* of these two rules, then I'm no longer able to
>> communicate between hosts on my internal network and the rest of the
>> world:
>>
>>    ipfw 110 add queue 1 ip from not ext/29 to any in recv re0
>>    ipfw 120 add queue 2 ip from any to not ext/29 out xmit re0
>>
>> It seems like the inbound rule should be early in the rule list so that
>> any inbound traffic that gets dropped by the firewall rules gets counted
>> even if it is dropped by later rules.  It also seems like the outbound
>> rule needs to be before any allow rules since an allow rule would skip
>> the remaining rules and would not count that traffic.  Unfortunately the
>> ipfw documentation doesn't really describe the interaction between
>> dummynet, NAT, and other firewall rules.
>>
>> Unfortunately this is a live system, so it is difficult to do controlled
>> experiments and look at the ipfw counters to see where things might be
>> going into the weeds ...
>
> ok so you need to do what I always tell people.. split your rules into
> separate incoming and outgoing rule sets.
> so your first rule should be:
>    skipto 10000 all from any to any in.
>

> and have separate sets of rules for incoming and outgoing packets.

I'm somewhat used to that.  In a past life I wrote firewall rules for
routers that have separate per-interface in and out rulesets.  I do
recall genrating them from from a script that kept the in and out rules
for the desired flows in sync with each other.

In this case, it would require a total rewrite from what I have now,
which I'm not anxious to tackle at the moment.