Date:      Tue, 04 Dec 2001 16:59:35 -0800
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Prevalence of FreeBSD and UNIX among servers

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> > Redhat and Mandrake put most of their early
> > work under the GPL.
>
> Early work, eh?  And now?
>
> > Redhat acquired some companies doing proprietary
> > development, but much of their stuff is still
> > released under the GPL, as far as I know.
>
> Uh-huh.

The proprietary software included in the Linux distros that have them
tend to all fall into one of two categories: installation/maintenance
software (YaST) and third party software (Navigator). From my
perspective, it's the non-distro projects that are bailing on the Free
Software "ideal" (you know, those Ximian guys who hold seats on the FSF
board).

Will the commercial distros ever go flat-out proprietary in an attempt
to lock their users in? Maybe, maybe not. But I know for one thing that
the users won't put up with it.

> However, once these companies finally make it clear that they are really in it for the money, maybe FreeBSD will become more
> popular, at least until someone tries to turn it into a cash cow as well.

Any new annoyance with a user's chosen distro and they start looking at
other distros and systems, including FreeBSD. These new annoyances can
be just about anything, including raising the price of the distro to
$80, announcing that they are considering a subscription service, using
too much bleeding edge software in the core system, to merely posting a
white paper saying that KDE is illegal (the latter caused me to
eventually switch to FreeBSD).

> > And free software has been around as long as
> > software has ...
>
> But how much free software from the past is still available--and free--today?

vi, emacs, BSD, TCP/IP, sendmail, BIND, hetc, etc. Of course, if you're
looking for the *really* old free software, like for the Univac or
something, it's going to be harder. But basically all of the free
software available when I started computing twenty years ago is still
there, but with twenty years of improvements and updates. The first
computer game I ever liked is still available for free and shipping with
FreeBSD: rogue.

David