Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 1997 13:18:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Changing lpd's model of operation slightly...

As you should now be aware, I've been working on some fairly
heavy-handed reorganization of the lpr/lpd suite.  One of the things
which I'm thinking of doing may be a bit controversial, and so I'd
like to know what other people think.

What I'm planning on doing (or rather, have done and am planning on
committing once it's tested) is to separate the actual job-printing
functionality out of lpd and into a separate program which lpd
execv()s as necessary to start a printer.  This allows that part of
the program to not occupy any memory resources while it is not being
used, but does increase the memory used on machines that host active
printers.

I think that this will make lpr/lpd a bit cleaner, and is a worthwhile
change, despite the magnitude.  (I have other, even more significant
changes coming.)

-GAWollman