Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 00:38:31 +0100
From:      "Walter C. Pelissero" <walter@pelissero.org>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, net@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.4-RC NFS panic

David Malone writes:
 > On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 07:51:17PM +0100, Walter C. Pelissero wrote:
 > > This enforces my belief that there is something broken in some deeper
 > > layer of the network code (see the remote printing issue).
 >
 > Just out of curiosity, what sort of network card is your Vaio using?
 > Someone else is seeing network related panics that might be related
 > to freeing an mbuf that's in use, and it's possible this might be
 > related.

Mmmm, you might be right. I'm using a 3com 589, therefore I'm using
the ep driver.

Unfortunately I don't have a different PCMCIA network card at hand,
but I can try to reverse the crash test with my server.  Yes, the
server is running exactly the same version (4.4-RC) but uses the de
driver.

So I did and, guess what, the find/cat test on my server over an NFS
mounted directory from my Vaio ran without a problem.

I've just done a further test.  I've mounted a directory tree from
Vaio to Vaio using localhost (lo driver) and the test has run
smoothly.  So chances would be good the bug is in the ep driver.
Unfortunately...

$ ls -l /sys/dev/ep
total 70
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  23554 Jul 17  2000 if_ep.c
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   6202 Jan 14  2000 if_ep_eisa.c
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  10046 Dec 16  2000 if_ep_isa.c
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   4584 Oct 27  1999 if_ep_mca.c
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   6950 Aug  9  2000 if_ep_pccard.c
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  13935 Jan 12  2000 if_epreg.h
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   2667 May 24  2000 if_epvar.h

none of the modules belonging to the ep driver has been touched for a
long time.

Side note.  Regarding a different problem I've mentioned in
freebsd-hackers I've been told 4.4-RC has got problems with the PCCARD
code.  Whether that can influence the ep driver is beyond my
knowledge.

--
walter pelissero
http://www.pelissero.org