Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 14:24:01 -0500
From:      Ford Prefect <fordp@guide.chi.il.us>
To:        Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD NIS client with HPUX NIS server.

I maintain a network that has a similar problem (albeit it some suns and a
SGI) What have cron calling a script that does the following:

niscat passwd > tempfile                        #Dump the passwd file
cut -d: -f1,2,3,4,5,6,7 tempfile > tempfile.cut #Just the fields we want
tail +13 tempfile.cut > tempfile.tail           #Chop off local accounts
cat SGI.passwd passwd.tail > tempfile           #append to other machines
local accounts

We then rdist the tempfile over to the SGI.
No this isn't the best solution. I'm not sure its even a good one, but it
does work.

-Steve

At 01:34 PM 9/17/99 -0400, you wrote:

>NIS is suppost to export in a standard fashion, regardless of the native
>password format of the server
>
>On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Stephen Roome wrote:
>

>> I've got a FreeBSD machine here and it's all looking good, except that the
>> site IT folks want it in NIS, with an HP-UX 10.20 NIS server. =(
>>
>> [ Unimportant background :
>> The reason I've been given is "security" and although using HP-UX 10.20,
>> without shadow passwords and using NIS, (not NIS+) to serve passwords to
>> FreeBSD (3.2 - with somewhat better encryption and shadowing) may sound
like an
>> absolutely mind bogglingly stupid idea.... this is the only way they
will allow
>> this machine to be on the network. ]
>>
>> Anyway, HP-UX's idea of a password is something like this :
>>
>>               vvvv--- expiration data.
>> AIUSFas/asdis,O/.M
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^---- password
>>
>> and my FreeBSD paswords looks like so :
>> (that's how long the password field is!)
>>
>> steve:*******************************:  etc..
>>
>> So, the question has to be, is there any feasible way of setting NIS to
work so
>> that I can pull people from the NIS server and still let them log in, or
do I
>> need to give them a FreeBSD passwd entry for every user.
>>
>> (clearly +@somegroup is going to be even more of a problem ?!)
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> 	Steve

>> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

 \ Ford Prefect                   Ahead of my time.    \
  \ fordp@guide.chi.il.us           but only by a week. \
   \ homepage.interaccess.com/~fordp                     \
     \          ((In esperanto where available))           \