Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 13:44:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, "David G. Andersen" <dga@POBOX.COM>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Two kinds of advisories?

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Brett Glass wrote:

> I'm not the only one who has noticed that the current format has caused
> third-party bugs to be seen as security holes in FreeBSD. Let's make it

You are incorrect: the *old* naming scheme (no mention of 'Ports') in the
subject was in force when this happened. I only started putting 'Ports' in
the subject on July 5th, 8 days ago. This was done with the express
intention of differentiating between the two streams.

> Matt's idea of numbering Ports advisories as PORTS-<Whatever> to
> distinguish them from bugs in FreeBSD proper.

"Ports" is already in the subject. If someone doesn't know what "Ports"
means, how will changing the advisory numbering make any difference?

Kris