Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 1996 17:40:52 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Donny Lee <donny@ms1.hinet.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rebuilding a new kernel. What I should take care?

On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Donny Lee wrote:

>   Since I have to rebuild a new kernel for my IDE CD-ROM,
>   I'd like to hear you all in some points:
>
>   1) Should I comment out those devices or options I don't need in
>      MY_KERNEL config file?

Basicly, the answer is yes. Note, however, that you need to be sure of
what you need and what not. Read through LINT (and Installing and Running
FreeBSD if you have that). Some devices (for example ether, loop, npx)
should *not* be removed. Removing things you don't need will make your
kernel smaller.

>   2) What's good and bad if, for example, I comment out those
>      scsi devices except the one fits my scsi card?

Good: The kernel will be smaller and it will not probe for devices you
don't have (though you can get that effect by just disabling the probe on
the devices). This means that you'll have more memory free for useful
stuff, and the machine will boot faster (device probes are very
time-consuming).

Bad: Very little I guess. If you add cards, you'll have to make a new
kernel, but I guess people aren't changing their SCSI controller that
frequently.

Ugly: When you have to shoot - shoot, don't talk :-)

>   3) Will a smaller kernel speed up ay boot time? if so, how to
>      make a kernel small?

See above. The size of the kernel is not the major factor in boot time.
Probing for devices is.

>   BTW, thanks for you all.  I can't fine many FreeBSD companions
>   here in Taipei, and worse no FreeBSD related local news groups,
>   I then have to post every questions here.
>
> // Donny

Nadav