Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 08:14:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Stephen J. Roznowski" <sjr@home.net>
To:        mark@quickweb.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HD failure; possible causes??

> From: Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
> Subject: HD failure; possible causes??
>
> Hi all. Well, this weekend I had a couple of CCD disk arrays go belly up,
> and I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with multiple disks
> crashing at once.

While it sounds like you've figured out this problem, one thing to
remember when you are building disk arrays is to use disks from
different production runs. When you start to approach the MTTF for
drives, the ones in the same production run tend to fail at about
the same time (i.e. the bell curve for MTTF is more of a spike).
Getting drives from different production runs gives you a larger
bell....

-SR