Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 1995 17:57:01 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Subject:   Re: sup is fetching whole src tree

>> The CTM delta for the CVS tree for this "white space" action and
>> the CVS tag was 2.5 MB.

>Feel glad you are on CTM instead of sup.  For sup featchers of cvs
>it meant a 130MB sup.  For suppers of /usr/src it meant 3993 files
>or something close to that (*not* the whole 120MB of the source
>tree).

This is a good reason to switch to CTM.

>I seem to recall Poul saying the ctm for src was 500K from me doing
>the white space clean.  The cvs CTM delta was large due to the fact
>that a cvs tag operation adds 1 line per tag to every file that was
>tagged.

Actually it was large because someone compressed the commitlogs.  This
caused CTM to send huge diffs to create all the new .gz files and huge
diffs to truncate all the old files, about 2 * 750K altogether.  The cvs
tag operation compresses very well and only produces 500K of ctm
updates.

Bruce