Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 09:23:33 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Ralf.Luettgen" <luettgen@swh600.langen.bull.de>
Subject:   Re: running processes afer logout

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998 11:28:58 +0100 (CET), Ralf.Luettgen wrote:

>I established a telnet connection from a sun to my FreeBSD box. I start some
>programs in the background (with &) and the terminate the connection. The
>processes are stil running on my FreeBSD box.
>
>Now my question:
>Is it a normal behavior that they are still running? I think when I close a
>connection all processes of this shell has to die.

If you'd  like to control this behavior, see man stty and read about
hup and -hup.

Actually, I just read the man page and it's very unclear on this.  I'm
not sure if FreeBSD works the same as previous unixes I've used.  Try
stty hup and logout and see if the processes get terminated and then
try again with stty -hup.  I think -hup tells stty to NOT terminate
processes active when you logout.
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.