Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 1999 22:19:28 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Andrew Perry <andrew@python.shoal.net.au>
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Speaking about serial numbers... (was Re: On freezes in 3.2-Stable )

Andrew Perry writes:

> >    Put the screw back in the hole, added the missing 15PSI of air, got
> >    to the shop with no other events. Yes, it has fairings.
> >    http://home.hiwaay.net/~dkelly/pc.gif
> >    http://home.hiwaay.net/~dkelly/hondas.gif
> >

> it may have fairings but you have me bluffed. If it didn't say "hondas" in

"fairings" is a long running inside BSD chuckle.

> the url i'd have thought your roadbike was a guzzi of some sort and i
> noticed your trailbike has a V motor (can't tell if it's a 2 or 4 cylinder
> from the photo) but I can see the honda wings on the tank.

Actually both are street bikes. Both are of similar design, V-twin, 2
intake valves, one exhaust, 2 sparkplugs per cylinder. Water cooled,
shaft drive. Rear drum brake.

> i have to say though that from the photos they are well extremely well
> looked after!

All motorcycles look great in pictures. Both are filthy. The PC has dead
bugs all over its front, and has been ridden in the rain several times
since its last bubble bath.

It helps when one uses good equipment too. Camera is a Canon EOS 630,
28-80mm zoom lens, and Canon 430 flash. Used the flash to take the
outside pictures. That's why the reflectors are reflecting so well. You
can also see a fine edge of shadow under the bikes where the flash above
the camera didn't reach.

Forgot I had another picture of the VT500FT where you might notice some
corrosion on the left side engine cover. I'll look into buffing it out
sometime but have to figure out what is used as a protective layer so
it doesn't happen again. You can also see the shaft drive. And its more
obvious this is not a dirt bike. The fins on the engine are decorative.
The reflector is mounted on the radiator.
http://home.hiwaay.net/~dkelly/vt500ft.gif

> they are obviously a model that doesn't arrive here in OZ but that's not
> that surprising as I think less than 20% of the japanese models make it
> here :-) what exactly are they?

The big one is a 1998 model of the recently discontinued Honda Pacific
Coast PC800. The little one (I didn't used to think of it as little) is
a 1984 Honda VT500FT Ascot. I've owned the Ascot since 1986 and it only
has 7k miles on it. Long story involving rusted gas tank and plugged
carbs. Bought the PC last year and it now has 4500 miles. And a plug in
each tire this summer. The Ascot is still wearing its original front
tire. I have new tires on backorder. Am afraid to ride much on a 16
year old tire.

The Pacific Coast was the first and last motorcycle Honda allowed their
American automotive division to design. The motorcycle division handles
the Gold Wing. From the rear the PC looks like a big scooter. That's
what probably killed it in the market.

The Pacific Coast has quite a following:
http://members.tripod.com/~pc800/. I don't get much use out of that web
site as it has hidden everything under Javascript.

In 1983 and 1984 Honda sold two models named Ascot in the US. One was a
single cylinder air cooled chain drive, the other was V-twin, water
cooled, shaft drive. The air cooled model had a rear disk brake the
water cooled model lacked. 1984 was the last year for the Ascot, but its
sister model the Shadow continued for many years. The VT500 Shadow used
the same engine only in natural aluminum rather than painted black. The
Shadow had high handle bars and low seat. The Ascot is what we now call
a "standard" bike, and the Shadow is "custom."

Don't know what the oil companies are up to this month but gas prices
are up about $0.10. I've been enjoying my 36 mile round trip commute on
the PC at 48 MPG.