Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:58:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Marc W <mwlist@lanfear.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is mkdir guaranteed to be 'atomic' ??

hi!

    i can never really tell if this alias is for discussions concerning
development OF the FreeBSD OS or development ON the FreeBSD OS (or
both), but I figure i'll risk the wrath of the anti-social and ask a
coupla programming questions :-)

    is mkdir(3) guaranteed to be atomic?  Thus, if I have two processes
with
a possible race condition, is mkdir(3) guaranteed to only work on one
of
them and return EEXIST on the other???  Are there filesystem type cases
where this might not be the case (NFS being my main concern ....)

    thanks!

    marc.