Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2002 03:42:32 +0100 (CET)
From:      BOUWSMA Beery <freebsd-user@netscum.dyndns.dk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   panic with stable, probably fs-related

[replies sent directly to me may timeout and bounce, since I'm not
 online as often as I should be, but I'll check the list archives]

Heh.

I'm able to consistently crash -stable (built 22.dec) as a normal
user by invoking `gpg', resulting in an integer divide fault while
in kernel mode, etc. etc. etc.

I haven't done much else as this `normal' user otherwise, so there
are probably other programs that cause problems, because it appears
to be the filesystem proper which is causing problems.

(invoking gpg --homedir /tmp and invoking it as r00t both have no
dire results, and I have the home directory of this user on some
non-standard partition, intended for storage of huge files.)

The 45GB disk partition holding the homedir in question reveals
the following via `tunefs -p'
tunefs: soft updates:  (-n)                                enabled
tunefs: maximum contiguous block count: (-a)               1
tunefs: rotational delay between contiguous blocks: (-d)   0 ms
tunefs: maximum blocks per file in a cylinder group: (-e)  16384
tunefs: average file size: (-f)                            67108864
tunefs: average number of files in a directory: (-s)       64
tunefs: minimum percentage of free space: (-m)             8%
tunefs: optimization preference: (-o)                      time

(The value of `-f' was jacked way up when newfs'ing)

The `disklabel' command reveals the following:
16 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  h: 90194769 28573776    4.2BSD    16384 65536  2968   # (Cyl. 28347 - 117825*)

(Note that I've fudged the number of MAXPARTITIONS to 16 which has
otherwise caused no problems with anything else obvious)

I don't remember exactly what I gave to newfs for this filesystem;
one parameter (bsize?) wouldn't work if any larger, but I gave the
maximum number bytes/inode that I could get away with, so that it
looks like
Filesystem   1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity iused   ifree  %iused  Mounted
/dev/ad0s3h   45095760 30978064 10510048    75%     108    3986     3%   /usr/ho

I know I've violated the suggested bsize/fsize=8 rule.  Wonder if
there's a 16-bit bsize floating around somewhere, he muses, having
just hacked an i86 Minix program to work with numbers like 38400

This panic is very repeatable, and this is the first time I've
invoked gpg, so it's trying to create its directory.

I've had another -stable panic, which I haven't tried to repeat:
when giving a series of commands to clean out empty directories like
  rmdir -p /usr/local/source-hacks/*/*/*/*/*/*
but with more */*/* on the end, starting small and adding another
for each invocation (softupdates fs):
panic: newdirrem: inum 51220 should be 51210

I haven't tried to see if this is readily reproduced; I booted
from the panicked -stable into -current to let background fsck
clean up and there I had no problems cleaning out the rest of the
empty directories.

This fs isn't too abnormal, with the default 16384/2048 b/fsize,
but with some symlinks hidden in the stars above (no damage could
result since those pointed to a read-only fs).  Like I say, after
I pruned the directories under -current, I went on to other things

thanks
barry bouwmsa