Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 12:18:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IIS vs Apache

On Fri, 18 May 2001, j mckitrick wrote:

> I just saw a quote:
>
>     But as Giga analyst Stacey Quandt noted, even the fastest, cheapest and
> best browser may not win.
>
>     "Sometimes, the best technologies don't win out. Microsoft's IIS
> (Internet Information Server) is faster
>     than Apache, but Apache has the greatest market share, for example."
>
> Are there any stats to back this up, that anyone knows of?

Sure, lots.  Almost any benchmark will show that IIS is a bunch faster at
serving static content under benchmark situations than Apache.  For
dynamic content, your webserver itself (as opposed to whatever is actually
generating the pages) is almost never going to be the limiting factor.

But I have no idea what that has to do with being the "best technology".
As long as it is "fast enough", then any other performance benefits under
benchmarking situations are irrelevant.  The performance differences do
not exhibit significantly different latencies under "normal" loads, but
only impact scaling at higher loads.