Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2000 11:46:53 +0700
From:      "Tolpanov, Dmitry" <tdn@stack.ru>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   MPPE and US export restrictions.

Hi.

I'm sorry if my question will be a little bit out of topic, but I think it
is connected with security.
I'm organizing PPTP service and interested in encryption of traffic. As PPTP
server i'm using MPD port (mpd-3.2). I've installed it with MPPC and MPPE
options (all necessary sources are included, as I understand). Now I start
mpd with MPPC-MPPE options enabled.
As PPTP client I have Win NT 4.0 Server. When I try to connect to PPTP
server without enabled Encrypt option (NT) it is succeeded. But when I
enable Encrypt option on NT the connection fails while everything is OK.

Now I think may be my problems are because of US export restrictions, My NT
and MPD simply do not support MPPE. I live in Russia. Recently US government
canceled this restriction but my be my NT and FreeBSD(4.0) do not know about
this.

Dmitry.