Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2013 15:27:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        Rod Person <rodperson@rodperson.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help porting Linux app - getting Free Memory and Real Memory

> I'm working on a port I maintain and the code has drastically changed.
> Everything is going we except that the program gives warnings that there
> isn't enough free memory on the system to perform certain actions.
> The program uses Linux call to /proc/meminfo to get this information.

this is just a nonsense. the only thing program should check is data size
limit.

man getrlimit.

RLIMIT_DATA is fine.

unices (including linux) have virtual memory. providing enough total VM is
a job for sysadmin.

checking available memory by one program doesn't make much sense, as other
programs are running in the same time.