Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 1997 09:36:54 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE, freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bad system call - world build

In message <199710290716.XAA23260@silvia.HIP.Berkeley.EDU>, Satoshi Asami write
s:

> * 	 If you want to get from 2.X to 3.X, you install a 3.X snapshot
>
>I'm afraid you are *completely* missing the point, Kamp-san.  People
>want to build -current on a 2.X fileserver so they can install it on a
>3.X client.  (Or vice versa.)  It was working until the getcwd()
>change went in.  Peter thought he could fix it.  We are now trying to
>see why it doesn't work.

I'm sorry Satoshi-san, then people should install a 3.X snap on
a client, NFS mount their diskspace and make world that way.

>I'll let Terry take care of the rest to educate you on the difference
>of the host system and the target system.  (I can't believe I'm saying
>this. ;)

You don't need to that.  But imagine for a moment that we're talking
about compiling a alpha-world on a i386 machine and you will quickly
realize why the very thing you are complaining about is an instance of
"the wrong thing to do".  So rather than complaining about __getcwd(),
you should either realize that you are asking for something we cannot
currently do or alternatively make it so we can do it.